I stumbled on Theycallmejane’s blog on WordPress’ homepage and just out of curiosity clicked on it to read more. It intrigued me that it was about random acts of kindness. At the end of the reading, there was a challange posed by Jane to “pay it forward” over the weekend. I decided to pay it forward by being kind, especially when others least expected it.
That very day I paid it forward by helping my cousin with washing the dishes, then helped to tuck away every utensil, cup, plate, pot in the cupboards, then wiped the counters, then swept the floor and then watered the flowers outside our home.
The next day, I paid it forward by smiling at everyone I came across. One woman’s frown, as she approached me, turned upside down once she saw my smile. When I greeted a neighbor and stopped to inquire how they were, it inspired them to be at ease and we kept the conversation going.
That very night, I paid it forward by helping a stranger whom I met through LinkedIn edit their resume for a job they were interested in. They offered to compensate me for the work, but I declined only hoping my effort would help them to get the job.
Later during the next day, I paid it forward by calling a long time friend I hadn’t spoken with in a while to catch up on how things were. I discovered she had been facing a lot of trials and had been going through some hard times. I encouraged her to keep focused on her dreams and to not be discouraged by those who criticize her work or hinder her from getting to reach her goals, but to keep her head high. At the end of the call, we exchanged our goodbyes and I silently prayed that all would be well with her.
These are a few of my pay it forward through unexpected acts to people, and you know what? It made me feel good. I didn’t want anything else in return, just the fact that I helped them in some way. I was watching MSNBC interview a blogger who started “Operation Beautiful”, a blog about writing beautiful and positive messages on post it notes. These messages could be written to encourage self or transform another person’s life. It truly is an amazing project. But it goes to show each of us that we don’t have to wait for someone to start a trend of passing on goodness, we can do it right now and it can start with you and me.
I still continue to pay it forward with some little act of unexpected kindness and don’t plan to stop. If anything, let’s continue to make the world a better place (at least try to while we live) by showing kindess to others. As my pay it forward kindness to you, here are a few kindness quotes from quotegarden.com to inspire you or maybe someone you know.
- Never look down on anybody unless you’re helping him up. ~Jesse Jackson
- Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day. ~Quoted in P.S. I Love You, compiled by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
- If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. ~Dalai Lama
- Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. ~Mark Twain
- Don’t wait for people to be friendly, show them how. ~Author Unknown
- How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these. ~George Washington Carver